If you have ever experienced the headaches and frustrations that come with learning or teaching the complex compliance and management requirements of the Low Income Housing Tax Credit Program, consider the discovery of this website as your “prescription” to a healthy new way of life!
Tax Credit compliance is difficult. There is A LOT to it. The rules are complicated. And there are a lot of them. Throw in the complications caused by State-specific rules, numerous gray areas, and the likelihood of other programs being on your property, you can see why learning and teaching this stuff causes migraines.
In the past, the only way to obtain Tax Credit training was to attend a workshop or seminar. Often this meant traveling out-of-town for several days and sitting through a lengthy course. Thankfully, those days are over. That model didn’t work very well anyway. By attending a 1, 2, 3 or even 5 day training seminar, you are expecting miracles. Quite frankly, lengthy Tax Credit training workshops are boring. Students tend to have difficulty paying attention. Retention becomes minimal. Confusion and misunderstandings are common. Instead, the secrets to really, truly becoming proficient with this stuff are…
- Secret #1: Take bit sized courses in an environment that is comfortable! Traditional seminars don’t fit the realities of our lives. We are busy people. Our properties are like children and can’t be left alone or unattended for long. Most attendees have to move mountains to come to such an event and often when they arrive are strapped to their cell phones the entire time because they can’t fully leave their jobs behind.
A traditional 2 day seminar is like a lifetime away from the office!
But, by taking short, to-the-point courses on a specific concept or rule,
in an environment you are familiar and comfortable with,
you can learn and keep your other irons in the fire burning.
- Secret #2: Hear the information when you are in a relaxed state of mind which means on your schedule not when you have a million and 1 things to tackle at the same time. Traditional seminars don’t consider your schedule. Often they come to town at inconvenient times but because you know you need this information and know that this is your only opportunity, you drop everything to attend.
It is nearly impossible to learn when your head is elsewhere!
By having the courses available on your schedule, you triple your retention!
- Secret #3: Tackle the complicated rules in chunks allowing your brain to fully grasp the information before forcing it to move on to another rule. Traditional seminars pack in a lot of information. They have to. It is not uncommon for these workshops to tackle 10 to 15 complicated rules. But our brains don’t work that way. At the most we will retain 2 to 3 concepts fully.
This means over 80% of the information given is not retained!!!
By learning the rules in chunks you are matching
the way our brains learn increasing your retention tenfold!
- Secret #4: Have the rules not just explained but illustrated so you can see how they work and then have the opportunity to practice them yourself showing you how to truly master them in your own world! Traditional seminars are lectures taught by someone standing behind a podium. But we learn in multiple ways… hearing, seeing and doing. Most lectures only use one learning method… hearing. A few also throw in some visual learning with a slide show. But the learning method that has the biggest impact on our learning and retention is the actual “doing” and traditional seminars are ill-equipped for this.
By taking courses that use all 3 learning methods
you will master the concepts quickly and easily and
most importantly successfully transfer them into your job!
- Secret #5: Repeat the concepts until you have it! Traditional seminars have an agenda they must stick to. Time is a constraint and there is a lot of material to get through before the end. However, we all learn at different paces. Sometimes a concept strikes a chord with us and we become fixated on it causing us to miss the next agenda topic. Other times we find ourselves in the midst of a topic we have already mastered or doesn’t apply to us so we become bored and find ourselves “waking up” in the middle of the next topic that is important and now we find ourselves lost. Or maybe… we just didn’t get it and now the instructor is moving on to a new topic!
By taking courses at our own pace,
we can repeat information until we have got it,
skip information we have already mastered or doesn’t apply,
and fixate on topics that are really, really important to us
taking as much or as little time as we need!
Now that is learning!! That is how you grasp and retain!!
At our Housing Credit Training Center we implement each and every one of these secrets into our curriculum to maximize your learning experience! And… it has worked… the industry is raving about this unique and EFFECTIVE way of learning the rules and training their team members!!
“This is awesome! I love the speed and the information that the training center contains and your ability to review notes taken through out the course and going back and reviewing. You have two thumbs up from me. If I had three thumbs you would have it too!” Jett Woodwick, Standard Enterprises, Monroe, LA
“I finished the last course in my online training today. I just wanted to thank you for the convenience of this excellent training. Believe it or not, there is literally a blizzard (really!) raging outside right now and I just completed my tax credit training. Is that just too cool (no pun intended!) or what? Plus I was able to complete the training from home without going to the office in this nasty weather. So once again, thanks so much!” Patti Edwards, Olynger Management Corporation, Gas City, IN
“I am addicted to your courses. They bring all the issues I was dealing with into very sharp focus and then behold, there was light!” Rose Mary Rodriguez, Daybreak Apartments, McFarland, CA